| || |
|Promoting an understanding of Islam that recognises the principles of |
justice, equality, freedom, and dignity within a democratic nation state
Sisters in Islam (SIS) is a leading Malaysian women’s NGO working for justice and equality for Muslim women. Through the Telenisa Legal Clinic, SIS provides information to women who seek advice on matters relating to Muslim family laws. SIS also undertakes research and advocates for legal and policy reform on issues related to Muslim women’s rights.
SIS has widen the space for public debate and discussion on Muslim women’s rights overall as well as other issues of fundamental liberties. The work we do has far-reaching impact and has support regionally and globally.
If you are passionate about the same issues and want to get involved, please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org which includes a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references.
VACANCY: COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 7 JANUARY 2017
OVERALL JOB PURPOSE
To advance and effectively communicate the SIS mission and vision by engaging the broader public as well as identified target groups on advocacy issues and raising SIS’s profile, primarily through communication tools, publications, SIS media and events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
b) Organisational Development (General)
- Assist in the design, development and implementation of an overall media strategy to realise SIS’ vision, mission and objectives.
- Develop, coordinate, and implement communications strategies via communications tools, such as the website, media releases and statements, featured articles, and social media.
- Coordinate the designing or development of visibility materials that will help to raise awareness of SIS and its work to our constituency, the general public and stakeholders.
- Maintain the SIS website and social media pages and to update them on a regular basis.
- Produce quarterly e-Newsletter to highlight and promote press statements, issues addressed and activities that are undertaken by SIS. Additionally, the e-Newsletter is also a platform to promote a rights-based understanding of Islam that upholds the principles of equality, justice, freedom and dignity within a democratic state framework. This e-Newsletter may also be issued ad-hoc based on the current necessities for particular information to be disseminated.
- Disseminate information effectively to general audiences and target groups by ensuring that all messages are consistent, clear, and appropriate.
- Conduct daily media monitoring on issues relevant to SIS’ work and update the Communications, Manager and other relevant parties.
- Build strong relationships with key people in media agencies, and other key stakeholders, ensure that contacts and distribution databases are properly maintained.
c) Other responsibilities
- Report and update the Communications Manager and, when applicable, the Executive Director regularly on work progress and urgent issues which may potentially advance or pose a detriment to the organization.
- Assist in organising and participate in activities such as meetings, brainstorming etc as deemed appropriate by the Communications Manager and/or Executive Director.
- Participate in staff meetings, and in the management team meetings when necessary.
- Contribute to team tasks at SIS, such as assessing incoming materials and communications, visitor orientation, etc.
- In collaboration with Communications Manager and/or Executive Director and appropriate staff members, contribute to the development of funding proposals, submissions or contracts/agreements, and reports.
- Conduct all administrative tasks related to your job function to ensure organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assist the Communications Manager and Executive Director in any other tasks as instructed in pursuit of the vision, mission and objectives of SIS.
- Ensure high quality implementation of programmes and activities.
- Submit a quarterly written report on your core areas of work and projects to the Communications Manager and Executive Director.
- Assist in day-to-day efficient running of the office.
- Carry out other duties as may be reasonably required to meet the primary objectives of the position.
- The position is directly accountable to the Communications Manager.