| || |
|Promoting an understanding of Islam that recognises the principles of |
justice, equality, freedom, and dignity within a democratic nation state
SIS Forum Malaysia (SIS) is inviting applications for the following position. If you are passionate about advancing the rights of women in the country and believe in gender equality and human rights, please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
A description of the work environment.
SIS offers a friendly, consultative and supportive work environment. Staff are warm, caring and very committed to SIS work. The organisation offers competitive benefits to its staff, including a wellness programme, medical insurance, interest free loan or scholarship, attractive salary scale and 24 days of annual leave upon confirmation.
LEGAL OFFICER – ADVOCACY LEGAL SERVICES & PUBLIC EDUCATION UNIT
A. RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
Reporting directly to the Programme Manager, the Legal Officer is responsible for coordinating and providing legal advisory services, monitoring women’s access to justice, providing support for the SIS Forum (Malaysia) or ‘SIS’ legal literacy program, networking and communicating effectively with the general public and target groups.
1. Legal Advisory Services (Telenisa)
• To provide legal advice to clients during direct discussion sessions, written queries and/or telephone calls.
• To coordinate the SIS Legal Literacy column in any print and electronic media and SIS social media;
• To coordinate the collaborative activity between SIS and the Kuala Lumpur Legal Aid Centre and other relevant NGO, including coordinating the orientation session, supervise the chambering students and attend relevant meetings;
• To maintain an effective database of cases received and service provided in order to be able to identify trends and areas for advocacy. To monitor the Syariah Courts and promote effective implementation of women’s legal rights;
• To identify trends and systematic weaknesses in the legal and judicial system and to advocate for reform;
• To source out other service providers in order to build the pool of resource persons who can help with the response to cases received at the Legal Advocacy Unit.
• To liaise with women’s groups, other NGOs, government agencies, religious institutions and others to promote the work and interests of SIS;
• To represent SIS at national, regional and international meetings, seminars, workshops, media interviews and conferences as required.
• Report regularly to the Programme Manager on the progress of work and to inform of any issues which are potentially constructive or detrimental to the organization;
• In collaboration with Programme Manager and appropriate staff members, contribute to the development of funding proposals, submissions or contracts/agreements.
• Assist the Programme Manager and the management team in any other tasks as instructed in pursuit of the vision, mission and objectives of Sisters in Islam;
• Carry out other duties as may be reasonably required to meet the primary objectives of the position.